How to make ice cream cone cupcakes
I knew what ice cream cones were, and what cupcakes were, but ice cream cone cupcakes? I’d never seen one until I stumbled on a picture online. They looked fantastic – like cakes you might buy in a shop.
I like simple recipes and I guessed this wouldn’t be my type of recipe – too complicated. It turned out that ice cream cone cupcakes are easy to make. Pour your favourite cupcake / bun mixture into the cup cones (just like you normally pour it into paper cases) bake, ice and decorate. Et voilà! You are left with show-stopping cakes.
I made the ice cream cone cupcakes on the pictures with the kids using standard chocolate bun mixture. We took them to a party and everyone mistook them for real ice creams!
To make 12 to 14 ice cream cone cupcakes you will need:
- Wafer cup cones for ice cream
- 200g (8 oz) of butter
- 200g (8 oz) of caster sugar
- 4 medium eggs
- 50g (2 oz) of cocoa powder
- 150g (6 oz) of self-raising flower
For the butter cream icing:
- 100g (4 oz) of butter, softened
- 150g (6 oz) icing sugar
- 50g (2 oz) cocoa powder, sifted
- 1-2 tablespoons of milk or cold water
- Sprinkles to decorate
Here is how to make your ice cream cupcakes:
- Heat oven to 180ºC, 350ºF, Gas Mark 4. Line a bun tin with bun cases
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, adding a little flour with each
- Gently fold in remaining flour and cocoa powder
- Half fill the cup cones with the mixture and bake for about 25 minutes until firm
When the cupcakes are cold prepare the chocolate buttercream icing as follows:
- Beat the butter in a large bowl until soft. Add half of the icing sugar and beat until smooth
- Add the remaining icing sugar, cocoa powder and one tablespoon of the milk /water and beat until creamy. Beat in more milk/water if necessary to loosen the icing
- Spread the icing on top of the ice cream cone cupcakes and decorate to taste
The cakes will keep for a couple of days in an airtight container.