This classic Victoria sandwich recipe is always a teatime winner, every bite will bring a taste of nostalgia! You can’t go wrong with this easy recipe that combines simple ingredients. It will make a perfect party cake too – full of spongey goodness!
To make your sponge cake you will need the following ingredients:
For the sponge
- 200g of unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing the tin
- 200g of caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 4 medium eggs
- 200g of self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting the tin
For the filling
- About 6 tablespoons of raspberry or strawberry jam
- 250ml of double cream , whipped
- Icing sugar to dust the cake
- Heat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Grease and flour 2 x 20cm sandwich tins. Place the butter, sugar and vanilla extract into a bowl and beat well to a creamy consistency, you can use an electric mixer if you wish. Slowly beat in the eggs, one by one adding a little flour with each. Fold in the remaining flour and mix well.
- Divide the mix equally between the cake tins, place into the oven and bake for about 20 mins until risen and golden brown. The sponge cakes should spring back when gently pushed in the middle. When ready, remove from the oven. After cooling for 5 minutes in the tin, turn out onto a wire rack.
- When the sponges are completely cold, spread the jam onto one cake and top with the whipped cream. Sandwich the cakes together and dust with icing sugar.
Variations for this recipe
Chocolate sponge cake recipe
Add 4 tablespoons of cocoa powder to the flour to make a chocolate sponge, fill with whipped cream and a chocolate spread (a drizzle of melted chocolate will work too).
Lemon favoured Victoria sandwich
Add grated lemon zest to the sponge mixture and fill with lemon curd and whipped cream.