Mince pies are one of Christmas‘ favourite treats and what better way to impress friends and family than by baking your own?
Make your mince pies extra special with a touch of rich, melt in the mouth marzipan and light lemon flavoured pastry. The recipe’s simple too so you can even get the kids to help!
The catch? If you have a large family I would recommend you bake two batches as these mince pies are very moreish – just look at Rudolph eyeing them up!
This simple mince pie recipe will take about 45 minutes (including baking time) and makes 12.
- 100g 4oz of plain flour
- 100g/ 4 oz of self raising flour
- 100g of butter softened
- 1tbsp of caster sugar
- Finely grated zest of one lemon or orange
- 85g / 3oz of marzipan cut into 12 small square (just enough to cover the bottom of the mince pies)
- 3/4 jar of mincemeat 300g / 11oz
- Icing sugar for dusting (optional)
- Preheat the oven at 200C (180C for oven fan) or gas mark 6 and butter a 12 hole bun tin.
- Using your fingers or a food processor, work in the two types of flour and the butter until you have a crumby mixture. Add the sugar, the zest and 3 to 4 table spoons of water and kneed the dough until it comes together in a ball.
- Roll out the dough thinly on a lightly floured surface. Stamp out 12 x 9cm (3 1/2 inch) circles with a cookie cutter and place them into the buttered tin.
- Put your marzipan pieces into the bottom of each pastry case and spoon in the mincemeat. Be careful not to over fill them or your mince pies might turn out rather sticky.
- Roll out the left over pastry, cut out star shapes and lay them on top. Bake in the oven for 12 to 15 minutes until golden. Leave the pies to cool for a few minutes, take them out of the tray and transfer them onto a wire rack until completely cold. They will keep in an airtight container for a few days.
You can also prepare your mince pies ahead and freeze them uncooked. They will bake straight from the freezer in about 25 minutes.