Whether you’re a parent looking for good gift ideas for your own kids or you’re buying gifts for god-children, nephews or nieces or your friends’ kids, you might occasionally be stuck for ideas when buying gifts for kids…
While shops are stuffed with bright coloured plastic toys that promise to turn our kids into geniuses – most of these are overpriced gadgets that will quickly be discarded.
If you want to buy gifts for kids that will provide hours of fun and play while not breaking the bank, read on and let the ideas flow!
- Art supplies – coloured papers, scrapbooks, glitter makers, felt tips, pencils, crayons, watercolour paints and other art and crafts supplies are all perfect gifts to inspire budding artists and encourage artistic talent and self-expression
- Dolls, teddy bears, soft toys and action figures are great gifts to spark up kids’ imagination. They are flexible and encourage role play and social skills on many levels – from taking care of someone to going on an adventure with friends and their doll or teddy
- Books – there are plenty of beautiful and inspirational books for children. Books allow kids to solve problems and experience a variety of adventures through the book’s characters. When shared with adults, books are also associated with warmth and companionship
- Construction toys – while scientific research suggests that playing with blocks can help young children learn about geometric shapes and spatial relationships, it also allows them to work in a team with other kids to build a structure. Toys such as Lego encourage creativity and imagination. They can also be used over and over again to create different structures – so your gift will provide for hours of play
- Board games are also popular gifts for kids. Some traditional games such as snakes and ladders can help children acquire number skills, while most games will teach them to negotiate and respect rules, take turns and in some games to plan ahead and use strategy
- Play dough or clay – playing and shaping / moulding squishy substances is a great gift for kids as it enables them to create objects and creatures from their imagination… add a garlic press to help them create great hair to put on their creations!
- Puzzles and jigsaws – are interesting gifts for kids that help them build problem solving skills, spatial knowledge and provide plenty of opportunities for social interaction and co-operations with friends and relatives
- Costumes, dressing up outfits, hats, funny beards and wigs are all gifts that will allow kids to fashion themselves into new characters and roles as they improvise on the spot
- Musical instruments – horns, drum sets or recorders are all fun gifts for kids. They will not only provide them with hours of entertaining play but also help them discover sounds, patterns and rhythms – preparing them for any future musical success
- Torches – if you have torches for emergency and struggle to keep the kids’ hands off them why not simply buy them their own? It’s an inexpensive present – especially if you buy rechargeable batteries. Kids will love making creative shadows and hand animals with them. Remember to let them explore the house in the dark with them too!