Why not make a Valentine’s cupcakes recipe to share with loved ones? The buns are light and moist with pretty pink icing and will have everyone asking for more!
This simple cupcake recipe is ideal if you’re baking with kids, think you can’t cook or don’t have much time to spare. These delicious cupcakes look good too and will be great for parties or as a tasty Valentine’s Day gift for someone you love.
This recipe makes about 20 small cupcakes. You will need 2 standard bun trays lined with paper cases – or a muffin tray if you want to make large Valentine cupcakes.
For the sponge
- 250g pack of butter, softened
- 250g golden caster sugar
- 1 tea spoon of vanilla extract
- 5 large eggs, cracked into a jug
- 85g of plain flour
- 100g of full-fat Greek yoghurt
- 250g of self-raising flour
For the butter cream icing
- 250g soft unsalted butter
- 450g icing sugar
- A few drops of pink icing colouring
- Sugar strands and/ or other decorations
To make your Valentine’s cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 160C / fan oven 140C fan / gas mark 3
- Using a wooden spoon or a food processor, beat the butter, sugar, vanilla and ¼ teaspoon of salt together until you have a pale and fluffy mixture. Then pour in the eggs, one at a time, giving the mix a really good stir before adding the next egg. Add 1 tablespoon of the plain flour and beat in the yoghurt
- Mix the flours; then fold them into the batter. Spoon the mix into the bun trays until the cases are ¾ full and bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean
- Leave the cupcakes to cool on a wire rack
For the decorative icing:
- Put the butter into a large bowl and beat until soft. Gradually add the icing sugar, a spoonful at a time. Keep beating until mixture is pale and creamy, then add a few drops of food colouring until you have achieved the colour you want. Spread on the cupcakes and decorate to taste.
If you want to make Valentine’s Day really special, why not read our Valentine’s Day ideas article?
For Valentine’s gift ideas: