The popular Flatout Bears are distinctive “flat” teddy bears made from 100% pure Australian sheepskin. A lot of our customers buy these teddy bears for babies and young children. That means that the bears will be sucked, chewed, loved and cherished every day and night and they will need an occasional clean up too!
Cleaning your Australian teddy bears:
While wonderfully soft and cuddly, sheepskin is a fragile material too, so here are the washing instruction to best take care of your Flatout bear:
- Dissolve a small amount of woolwash (ensure it is suitable for sheepskin) in cool to luke warm water (never use hot water)
- Slosh your sheepskin bear up and down a few times in the solution and work it through to remove any dirt
- Squeeze gently by hand until clean
- Rinse thoroughly with cold running water
- Squeeze excess water from your teddy bear gently, or press it in a clean towel to remove the bulk of the – DO NOT WRING DRY
- Allow to dry flat on a towel – put it in the shade if drying the bear outside. Please be patient as this can take a day or two depending on the weather.
Please do not put your Flatout bear in the washing machine (even on a handwash cycle) or put it in the dryer.
Due to the natural lanolin in wool, sheepskin tends to be self-cleaning. You can also use a sponge or a damp cloth to clean a small area that may have a dirty mark or stain.
What are Flatout bears?
They are Australia’s most famous, designer teddy bears. Created in 2002 by sisters Sarah and Prue, who live in Sydney, Australia, they have become a global phenomenon and adored by celebrity mums.
Here’s what some of the stars had to say:
“We ALL love the Flatout Bear! Even Darla, our dog, tried to get hold of our furry friend. Thank you for thinking of us.”
“I really struggled with the question of whether I had the strength and character to give (the Flatout Bear) to my son rather than keep it for myself…”
Sarah Jessica Parker
“Thank you so much for the adorable bear. It has already found a home in our family. We greatly appreciate your generosity!”