This tasty Easter cupcakes recipe uses dried fruit and marzipan to put a twist on the traditional Simnel cake recipe. These cupcakes are easy to make and perfect to get the kids involved in the festivities, as even very small children can help.
To make 12 to 14 large cupcakes you will need the following ingredients:
For the cakes
- 250g of mixed dried fruits
- Grated zest and juice of 1 orange
- 175g of butter softened
- 175g of golden caster sugar
- 3 eggs – beaten
- 300g of self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon of mixed spice
- 5 tablespoons of milk
- 175g of marzipan
For the icing and decoration
- 200g of icing sugar
- 2 table spoons of orange juice for mixing
- Mini sugar coated chocolate eggs
Easter cupcakes preparation
- Line a twelve holes muffin tin with paper cases and preheat the oven to 180C/ Gas 4/ n oven 160C.
- Put the dried fruit into a bowl, add the orange zest and juice and put in the microwave on medium for 2 minutes – or leave to soak for 1 hour. Mix the butter, sugar, eggs, flour, spices and milk together for a few minutes until light and fluffy. Add the the dried fruit an stir well.
- Cut the marzipan into 12 equal pieces, roll it into balls and flatten them with to make a small disk. Fill the paper cases a little less than half way and put one piece of marzipan in each. Spoon the remaining mixture on top. Bake the cupcakes for 25-30 minutes, until risen, golden and firm to touch.
Icing and decoration
- When the cupcakes are cool – beat together the icing sugar and orange juice until the icing has the right consistency. Spread the icing on the cupcakes and top each one with 3 mini eggs.