Birthdays are a call for celebration and a home baked cake will be ideal to make the occasion even more special. This tasty chocolate birthday cake recipe is easy to make so kids can join in and help too!
This recipe serves 12 and you will need the following ingredients:
For the birthday cake
- 140g of butter
- 175g of golden caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 225g of self-raising wholemeal flour
- 50g of cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp of bicarbonate of soda
- 250g of natural yoghurt
- 300g of golden icing sugar
- 2 tbsp of cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp of butter melted
- 3-4 tbsp of boiling water
- 50g of white, milk or dark chocolate
- Heat oven to 180C / fan oven 160C / gas 4. Butter and line the base of a 20cm (8″) cake tin. Put the butter and sugar into a bowl and cream together, using a spoon or an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well.
- Mix the flour, cocoa powder and bicarbonate of soda into the bowl, then pour in the yoghurt. Stir well until the mixture is smooth and spoon into the prepared tin. Bake for 20-25 minutes until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the chocolate icing, mix the icing sugar and cocoa into a bowl, then add the melted butter and 2 tablespoons of just-boiled water. Stir together to a smooth consistency. If the icing is too stiff to spread, very carefully add a little more boiling water, drop by drop.
- Spread the icing over the top of the cake, using a knife.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave on high for one minute or over a pan of simmering water. Drizzle the chocolate over the icing with a spoon.
- The cake will keep in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Use colourful candles to brighten up your birthday cake!
Making their birthday extra special
Birthdays are the perfect excuse for a party and a must for celebrating! For an original gift idea why not send a loved one a helium filled birthday balloon gift or a birthday teddy bear? If you’re planning a party, check out our range of party balloons and helium canisters – they will be ideal to create your own party decorations.