An easy no-bake rocky road recipe that the kids can help make
Not many children (or adults) will complain to find these delicious rocky road bars in their lunch box. These tasty chocolates will also make a popular home baked Christmas gift or party treat. This rocky road recipe is easy and quick to make and the kids will love to help too. But beware, it is hard to keep them from eating the mixture before it has set. I had to distract my children with left over marshmallows while I ran to put the tin in the fridge!
For another easy recipe kids can help make too, check out our Tasty Chocolate Truffles Recipe.
To make rocky road you will need:
- 125g/4½oz of soft unsalted butter
- 300g/10½oz dark or milk chocolate, broken into pieces (according to taste we used 85% cocoa dark chocolate)
- 3 tablespoons of golden syrup
- 200g of 7¼oz rich tea biscuits
- 100g 3½oz of mini marshmallows
- Icing sugar, to dust (optional)
- How to make rocky road – heat the butter, broken up chocolate and golden syrup in a large saucepan over a low heat
- Remove from the heat and set aside about 1/3 of the heated mixture in a bowl
- Place the biscuits into a plastic freezer bag and crush them with a rolling pin until you have a mixture of crumbs and small broken pieces
- Fold the biscuit pieces and crumbs into the melted chocolate mixture in the saucepan and add the marshmallows
- Line a 20cm/8in square baking tin with baking paper, tip the mixture in and smooth the top with a wet spatula
- Pour over the rest of the melted chocolate mixture and smooth the top again with a wet spatula
- Keep in the fridge for about two hours or overnight
- To serve, cut into small squares and dust with icing sugar
You could also try:
- For a colourful finish sprinkle your Rocky Road with sugar strands before putting it to cool in the fridge
- Replace some of the marshmallows with 200g of nuts, raisins and dried fruit
- Replace half of the marshmallows with other types of sweets according to taste – Maltesers or chopped Turkish delight, Milky Ways and other chocolate bars work well.