These heart shaped biscuits are quick and easy to make but with some simple decorating they will look great too! A fun Valentine’s recipe that will make a tasty gift, these biscuits are also perfect to make with children and share with the family. Yum!
This Valentine’s recipe will make 16 to 20 soft chocolatey heart shaped biscuits.
You will need:
For the biscuits:
- 190g of plain flour
- 100g of cocoa powder
- 1 heaped teaspoon of baking powder
- 250 g caster sugar
- 200 g butter or margarine softened
- 1 egg
For the icing:
- Ready to roll fondant icing
- 3 tablespoons of apricot jam
- Preheat the oven to 180C (160C for oven fan) or gas mark 5 and butter two baking trays
- Using a wooden spoon or a food processor, cream the sugar and butter until smooth. Add the egg and mix well
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, cocoa and baking powder
- Bit by Bit add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture to form a soft dough
- Using your hands, roll a small ball of dough (about one tablespoon) and place on the backing trays.
- Flatten the balls into round biscuit shapes with the back of a spoon (use a wet spoon if the dough is sticky). Make sure your biscuits are not too close as they will expand slightly
- Bake in the oven for 12 to 15 minutes. When cooked, place the biscuits on a cooling rack
For the icing:
- When the biscuits are cold, roll out some fondant icing and cut into hearts with a small heart shaped cookie cutter
- Brush your biscuits with warm apricot jam and stick the icing hearts on top
That’s it – your heart shaped cookies are ready to eat!