While it’s nice to take the young children to the shops to buy Mother’s Day gifts and cards for Mum or Grandma, the key to a successful Mother’s Day is a little time and effort. Kids will be delighted to make something for Mum and baking is always a favourite with all ages!
For a Mother’s Day cake recipe idea that everyone can share and help make, why not try to bake these delicious buns? Decorated with ready-made writing icing, these fairy cakes couldn’t be easier!
For more easy recipes that will make great Mother’s Day gifts check out our Jammie Dodgers Recipe, Chocolate Brownies Recipe or Easy Chocolate Cake Recipe. For something more elaborate that is sure to impress, try this tasty Easy Profiteroles Recipe With Chocolate Sauce.
The recipe makes about 24 small buns and you will need the following ingredients:
- 225g (8oz) of butter or margarine, softened at room temperature
- 225g (8oz) of caster sugar
- 4 medium eggs
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 225g (8oz) of self raising flour
- 140g of icing sugar
- a few drops of food colouring – colour of your choice
- a selection of writing icings – available from supermarket
- Sugar strands and other decorations
- Bun cases
Sponge mixture for the buns
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Line two bun tins with case
- Cream the butter and the sugar together in a bowl until pale and fluffy
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time with a little flour and stir in the vanilla extract.Fold in the rest of the flour using a spoon until the batter is smooth
- Half fill the paper cases with the mixture and bake for about 15 minutes until firm
- Mix the sugar with four teaspoons of water to make a smooth paste. Add a few drops of food colouring and mix well
- Spread a teaspoon of icing on each bun and leave to set
- Using the writing icing, pipe on one letter of “Happy Mother’s Day” (or what ever message you would like) on each of the fairy cakes and decorate with sprinkles as desired.
- Replace 50g (2oz) of the self-raising flour with cocoa powder to make chocolate buns
- Add 50g of sultanas or chocolate chips to the mixture