While Dads are notoriously difficult to buy for, if you have young children it’s easy to get them involved and have fun preparing Father’s Day treats for Dad.
This easy Fathers Day recipe will make delicious chocolate buns that everyone – even very young children, can help and make.
To make 12 small cupcakes you will need:
- 150 grams of unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 150 grams of golden caster sugar
- 3 eggs (beaten)
- 125 grams of self raising flour
- 25 grams of cocoa powder
- 50 grams of unsalted butter
- 175 grams of icing sugar
- 1 table spoon of cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon of food colouring of your choice – maybe pick dad’s favourite colour·
- Chocolate beans/mini Smarties
- Writing icing and other decorations
- Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan, gas mark 4 and line one small cupcakes tray with 12 paper cases
- Place the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl and beat with a wooden spoon or electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually mix in the beaten eggs until smooth, adding a little flour
- Stir in the remaining flour and cocoa powder until smooth
- Share the mixture between the 12 cupcake cases (each case should be about 3/4 full) and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and just firm to the touch
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before icing
- To make the butter-cream icing; Mix the butter and icing sugar together until light and fluffy adding a drop of water if necessary. Divide the mixture in half and beat the cocoa powder into one bowl to make the chocolate icing. In the other bowl add a teaspoon of food colouring
- Spread the icing on the buns and decorate as you wish with special messages for Dad! The buns will keep for 3-4 days in a cake tin.
More Father’s Day ideas
For more Father’s Day ideas check out our Top 5 Father’s Day Gifts. You might also enjoy reading the following articles:
100 Years of Father’s Day – Father’s Day is over 100 years old. Founded in America by Sonora Louise Smart Dodd,it is now celebrated in the UK on the third Sunday in June. In this article, in addition to a brief history of Father’s Day and how it is celebrated throughout the world, we offer a selection of gift ideas.
Solving the Father’s Day gift idea problem – Are you plagued with the same old problem – what on Earth do you buy your dad for Father’s Day? Well, to help you out, we’ve put on our thinking caps and come up with some excellent gift ideas to suit all budgets.