Fun reindeer cupcakes to make with the kids for Christmas
These super-cute Christmas cupcakes are prefect for baking with children. They are ideal for Christmas bun sales at school fairs, or even as a Christmas treat to take to work and share with your colleagues.
Read our How to Make Rocky Road post for another easy bake for kids and chocolate lovers. For more seasonal recipes, check out our Fruity Christmas Cupcakes Recipe, Simple Marzipan Mince Pies Recipe or Traditional Christmas Cake Recipe.
All the kids joined forces to help bake those. It was difficult to stop my two year old daughter from eating all the dough. We distracted her with some surplus sweets and managed to finish the recipe. We used a muffin tin to make large cupcakes. Our reindeer are a good size for adults but too big for small children. If you are baking for younger children I would recommend using two small bun tins and doubling the quantity of icing and sweets to decorate.
If you haven’t got much time, you could use shop bought plain buns of cupcake and decorate them with the reindeer icing.
To make 12 large cupcakes or 24 small ones you will need:
- 125g/4½oz of butter or margarine, softened
- 175g/6oz of caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 200g/7oz of self raising flour
- 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
- 100ml/3½fl oz of milk
- 100g/3½oz dark chocolate, melted
For the chocolate icing (double the quantities it you are making small cupcakes)
- 50g dark chocolate, chopped
- 3 tablespoons of butter
To decorate the reindeer
- Giant chocolate buttons
- Red Smarties or M&Ms
- Mini pretzels – we used chocolate coated ones, but standard pretzels will work well too
- Black writing icing
- Mini white marshmallows, sliced in half
Preparation – method for reindeer cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 170C/325F/Gas 3. Line a muffin tray or two small bun trays with paper cases.
- Beat the butter and sugar together to form a light and creamy mixture. Gradually beat in the eggs until well combined. Add the flour and cocoa powder and mix well. Fold in the milk and melted chocolate and mix until you have a smooth mixture.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cases and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until well risen and lightly firm to the touch. Take the cakes out of the tin and leave to cool on a rack.
- For the icing, heat the chocolate and butter in a saucepan over a low heat until the chocolate has melted. Mix the mixture until smooth.
- To decorate your reindeer cupcakes, spread the icing over the top, press a chocolate button onto the cake. Using your finger, put a small blob of icing at the centre of the chocolate button, then stick a red Smartie on top. Stick on two slices of marshmallows for the eyes, and use the black writing icing for the pupils. Push two pretzels in at the top for the antlers.
That’s it! I struggled to get the kids to wait until the icing had cooled to eat their first reindeer, but it was worth the wait – the cupcakes were delicious.