For an easy cookies recipe for kids, why not try and make these fun chocolate cookies? They are perfect to entertain kids on a rainy afternoon or if you are having a baking themed kids’ birthday party.
If you are baking with very young children, you might want bake the biscuits in advance and let them decorate them.
The recipe makes about 30 biscuits so they are also ideal if you’re sharing them at work or including them in a bake sale. Whatever the occasion, these bold little biscuits are guaranteed to brighten everyone’s day!
To make these you will need the following ingredients:
- 350g of plain flour
- 200g of salted butter cut in small pieces
- 120g of golden caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 2 egg yolks
- 200g of chocolate (we used chocolate cake covering)
- Sprinkles, small sweets and other edible decorations
Preparation – follow the easy steps detailed below:
- Whizz the flour and butter with an electric mixer or work it by hand until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. Add the sugar, vanilla and egg yolks and mix into a smooth dough. Divide the dough into two equal pieces and roll on a lightly floured surface into 2 sausage shapes about 4-5cm in diameter. Wrap the cookie dough in cling film and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Cut the dough into 4mm-thick slices and arrange on some baking sheets, spaced slightly apart. Bake the biscuits for 15 mins or until pale golden and transfer them to a wire rack to cool.
- When they are cold, melt the chocolate in the microwave or in a bowl placed in a pan of simmering water. If you are baking with kids – check the chocolate has cooled enough to handle and cover the cookies with chocolate and decorate to taste!