An ideal Valentine’s cookies recipe
Card shops are ablaze with red hearts, roses and Love You teddy bears; florists are taking early orders; and restaurants are booking up fast. Yes, Valentine’s Day is just around the corner!
Why not spread the love and bake some delicious heart shaped Jammie Dodgers to mark the occasion?
These Valentine’s cookies are not just tasty but look good too! They are perfect to share with with your kids, neighbours, friends or work colleagues on the 14th of February. Home-made Jammie Dodgers will make a cute romantic gift for your partner too.
The recipe is simple and ideal to keep the kids busy over half term, all you need is a bit of time, patience, some heart shaped cookie cutters and a few ingredients – listed below.
My nine year old son baked these on his own. Smaller children will love to join in too.
To make 12 to 14 Jammie Dodgers, you will need:
- Two heart shaped cookie cutters (about 6 cm and 3 cm)
- 200g (7oz) of plain flour
- 25g (1 oz) of custard powder
- 50g (2oz) of caster sugar
- 150g (50z) of butter softened and cut into small pieces
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of water
- 5 tablespoons of raspberry jam
- Icing sugar to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 160C (fan oven 150C) / 350F/ gas mark 3. Grease two baking trays
- Mix the flour, custard powder and sugar in a bowl. Add the butter and rub it into the flour mixture to make tiny crumbs (you can use an electric mixer if you have one)
- Stir in the egg yolk and mix into a smooth dough – knead the dough with your hands when it becomes too stiff. You might need to add a little water if your dough is crumbly. It needs to have pastry like consistency
- Roll the cookie dough out on a surface sprinkled with flour and stamp out large hearts with your cookie cutter
- Cut out little hearts from the centre of half of the large hearts using the small cookie cutter and transfer the shapes onto baking trays. Squeeze the trimmings together and roll out again. You should have 12 to 14 of each shape
- Bake the cookies for 10 to 12 minutes until they are pale golden. Loosen them with a knife and leave them to cool on the backing trays
- When completely cold, spread jam over the whole cookies, top with the heart stamped ones and dust with icing sugar
Your home made Jammie Dodgers are ready to eat. Enjoy!