An iconic teddy bear
I am sure most of you will have heard of the Me to You Tatty Teddy, in fact if you are reading this page chances are that you are a fan of the little grey bear with a blue nose and patches.
Over the years Tatty Teddy has become a celebrity in the world of teddy bears – recognised everywhere and mobbed for cuddles. With his sweet temper and friendly behaviour, he has won the hearts of adults and children all over the world.
The Me to You bear is linked to a charming fairy tale story about how he came to be ‘The grey bear with the blue nose’. He now appears on a wide range of products including greeting cards, plush toys, clothing, gifts, figurines and confectionery.
Over 75 million Me to You plush bears have been sold since 2000 – that’s 25 bears sold every minute. Hard to picture that many bears, isn’t it?
On the back of this huge success, I thought it would be interesting to tell both the original Me to You story of how the little bear with the blue nose came to be and the Tatty Teddy commercial success story. I will of course start with the fairytale. Enjoy! (I have included the video too, so you can listen to the Me to You Tatty Story if you’d like).
A grey bear with a blue nose? The story of Me to You
The oldest, smallest house you can imagine was about to be knocked down.
All the things that once made the house nice and cosy had been thrown outside and piled up in the front garden, from the soft springy bed the owners slept in to the old wooden floorboards they used to walk on…
… and even, surely by some mistake, a little brown teddy bear. He was trapped amongst all the other unwanted things and couldn’t move.
Then one day, a very, very cold day, something fell from the sky… a little snowflake.
It landed on the teddy bear’s little nose and was then followed by many more.
He began to feel cold, very cold indeed. More and more snow fell.
The little bear was now so cold that his nose started turning blue; so cold that his brown fur started turning grey.
He was cold, unloved and all alone in the world and felt very, very sad.
Winter finally passed and the weather became warmer. Then, one beautiful spring day, a little girl was playing near the old house when she spotted the grey bear in the pile of unwanted things.
He was like no other bear she had ever seen and she pulled him out from where he was trapped.
She dusted him down and lifted him high in the sky to look at him.
“A grey bear with a blue nose,” she remarked, “How strange!”
The teddy bear wanted to cry. He thought she didn’t like him and would throw him back with the other unwanted things.
“He’s lovely,” the little girl continued and she fell completely in love with him.
She ran home as fast as her legs would carry her to see if her grandma could patch him up, as a lot of his stuffing had fallen out and he was very much in need of repair.
She looked on as her grandma replaced his stuffing and patched up his holes.
His stitches had started showing where the fur had worn away but the little girl thought he looked perfect.
It was cosy and warm in the little girl’s house and the bear now felt cosy and warm in his heart.
However, his nose was still blue and his fur still grey and they would never return to brown.
He was unique amongst teddy bears.
The little girl gave him a great big hug. She loved him more than anything else in the world…
… Her little, grey, blue nosed…
… Tatty Teddy.
Milestones in the Me to You corporate journey
Tatty Teddy in pictures!
- 1987 – Stephen Haines starts Carte Blanche Greetings Ltd
- 1993 – Introduction of the range of ‘Miranda’ plush and gifts
- 1995 – Launch of the first Me to You card range, featuring Tatty Teddy with his shaggy fur, stitched patches and trademark blue nose
- 1997 – Launch of the Me to You gift range
- 2000 – The new millennium saw the introduction of the 1st generation of Me to You plush bears. Based on the original greeting card designs, Tatty Teddy featured short grey fur, small black eyes and a blue nose with a white reflective spot on the left hand side
- 2003 – Launch of the Me to You Story Book and 2nd generation of Tatty Teddy bears. The design of teddy bears was very similar to the first, but featured much finer fur
- 2008 – Me to You Softly Drawn cards and gifts hit the shops. Tatty Teddy stars in his very first ever TV ad
- 2009 – Me to You 3rd generation plush. Tatty Teddy now features longer fur in different shades of grey. A new blue plastic nose replaces the fabric nose on previous generations. As the new nose has reflective features, the reflective spot has also been removed
- 2010 – Three new ranges are introduced – Me to You Sketchbook, Me to You Photo Finish, Me to You Tiny Tatty Teddy
- 2011 – Me to You My Place online social game and Tatty Puppy launched
- 2012 – Dinky T card range and Tatty Teddy and My Blue Nose Friends toy launch