How to make a simple moist chocolate cake recipe that’s sure to impress
Chocolate cake is always a popular treat with all ages and this delicious moist chocolate cake recipe is no exception. The chocolate sponge is light and fluffy and the butter icing adds a moist fudgey touch. Deliciously naughty and just perfect for all chocolate lovers!
To make an 18cm (7 inch) cake that serves 8 you will need:
For the chocolate sponge mixture:
- 175g of self raising flour
- 2 tablespoons of Cocoa Powder
- 1 teaspoon of Bicarbonate of soda
- 150g of caster sugar
- 2 eggs – beaten
- 150 ml (1/4 pint) of sunflower oil
- 150 ml (1/4 pint) of semi skimmed milk
- 2 tablespoons of Golden syrup
For the chocolate icing and filling:
- 75g of unsalted butter – soften
- 175g of icing Sugar
- 3 tablespoons of cocoa Powder
- Sprinkles / sugar strands to decorate
- A drop of milk
- Pre-heat oven to 180ºC / 350F / Gas Mark 4 and grease and line two 18cm (7 inch) sandwich tins.
- Mix the flour, cocoa and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl. Add the sugar and mix well.
- Add the syrup, eggs, oil and milk. Beat well by hand or with an electric whisk or mixer until smooth.
- Split the mixture between the two tins and bake for 25 – 30 minutes until the cake has risen and is firm to the touch. Remove from oven, leave to cool before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- To make the chocolate icing, place the butter in a bowl and beat until soft. Gradually sift and beat in the icing sugar and cocoa powder then add just enough milk so the icing is fluffy and easy to spread.
- If your chocolate cake has risen a little too high then use a serrated knife to even off the top. When the cakes are completely cold, sandwich them together with the butter icing and cover the sides and the top of the cake with the remaining icing. Decorate to taste and enjoy!
You could try…
To double the ingredients for a large chocolate cake recipe (as shown on the picture) bake in 2 x 20cm 8 inch tins instead. You will need about 50% more icing to sandwich and ice the cakes.
If you can’t get enough chocolate, why not try and decorate your cake with crumbled chocolate flakes?